23 4 / 2012
I currently have three (!) open github pull requests for biopython, and I also pointed out an open issue that had been fixed. Busy busy!
One update was to allow automatic construction of a dict based on a remote file. Someone had already written the conversion script; I just worked on downloading the file. Struggled a bit with urllib etc. and couldn’t figure out how to get a file modification date. Eventually decided it wasn’t worth the trouble.
Also implemented someone else’s code to allow the MMCIF parser to handle multiple models. So basically I’ve just been going through the issues and using other people’s code! But organization is definitely an important part of programming.
One thing I did finally figure out how to do is clean up my master branch with git rebase. I might write a detailed, step by step tutorial intended for forks etc., because most of the instructions I’ve found just say “do git rebase then git push -f.” I found it to be a little less obvious than that.
I’ve been working in Linux more and more, and it’s really nice to have vi work properly (window resizing, mouse, pasting, etc).